Overview and objectives
Board members and business leaders, both executive and non-executive, enhance their ability to ask the right questions, challenge, scrutinise and evaluate plans and proposals when they have a strong grasp of financial terminology and techniques. A consistent foundation in financial literacy is a key factor in enabling the Board to make better decisions, prioritise issues and maximise opportunities.
This course is aimed at equipping board members, business leaders and senior professionals who have little or no formal finance training with the skills and knowledge to interpret and challenge board-relevant financial information.
The training is highly interactive and considers the real-life experiences of all delegates. Multiple case studies are drawn from the world of commerce to bring the sessions to life and help delegates visualise the application of course content in practice.
Participants should expect to find this a challenging, and highly rewarding, programme.
The course covers:
Financial reporting and management accounting
- Fundamental financial concepts and terminology
- External financial reporting – the Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement, Strategic Report and Directors’ Report
- Budgets, forecasts, what-if scenarios and sensitivity analysis
- Sources of finance
- Solvency, liquidity and going concern
- Analysing and interpreting financial statements and reports
- Valuation techniques
- Strategic financial management
Governance and finance
- The Board’s financial responsibilities
- Stakeholder expectations and shareholder value
- Internal Audit, External Audit and the Audit Committee
- Current issues
Feedback from previous Finance for Non-Finance Directors Training Courses:
Excellent course. I have completed 2 other similar courses that didn't go into enough depth.
This was exactly the level of detail I required to feel confident as a Board member questioning accounts
The course content exceeded my expectations
Good exercises and interaction
As a result of the course I feel much more confident about this area than before