The role of the Non-Executive Director (NED) has come under the spotlight and the expectations of key stakeholders of companies, both internal and external, has increased significantly.
NEDs are considered to be the “guardians of corporate governance”, but are also required to bring a broad range of experience and insight, as well as providing a positive and supporting challenge to the boardroom. Aspiring NEDs need basic knowledge and understanding; new NEDs need to have the essential tools and techniques to add value from day one; experienced NEDs need to keep up-to-date, both technically and with further development of some of the softer personal skills.
This NED training and certification programme, run in partnership with the Non-Executive Directors' Association (NEDA), covers a breadth of essential topics including: the role of NEDs, NEDs and the board, director duties and responsibilities the role of the chairman and board committees (especially the Audit Committee), updates on corporate governance, business strategy and risk management, evolving good practice in board performance as well as exploring aspects of corporate culture and director attributes.
You can choose to do your training in one of the following formats (the content is the same in each):
Three one-hour webinars, e-version of the Non-Executive Directors' Handbook (5th Edition), online test and the ICAEW NED Certificate*.
One-day course, hardcopy version of the Non-Executive Directors' Handbook (5th Edition), online test and the ICAEW NED Certificate*.
*The ICAEW NED Certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the online test. The first two sittings are free-of-charge.
- Understanding what it means to be a professional non-executive director.
- Seeing the role in the context of the demands of a range of industry sectors.
- Being up-to-date with the leading governance, strategy and risk practices aligned with stakeholder interests.
- Appreciating why an “effective board” is needed and what it should look like.
- Familiarity with the roles and responsibilities of Board Committees.
- All you need to know with regard to the Audit Committee.
- Understanding how you can and should be adding tangible value to an organisation.
- Knowing the best way to go to market as a new NED, with some tips and hints on presenting yourself as an independent NED.
- Benefiting from the knowledge and experience of NEDA, the leading NED training, advisory and support organisation.
Please note: when you register for any of the available training packages any personal data provided will be shared with ICAEW and NEDA.
Feedback from previous sessions:
"I really enjoyed the day... I thought the content was excellent"
"I thought it was tremendous content that was presented… even the on-line presentation platform seemed to work very well too!"
"Thank you for an excellent and very comprehensive course.... the interaction worked really well, especially as we were attending virtually".